Monday, January 23, 2017

Time Strategies

Checklists as a procrastination strategy

I am a terrible procrastinator. I always feel like I have more time than I really do, then the next thing I know I have a couple hours to finish an assignment. 

I read the articles about checklists and how to beat procrastination. The article about checklists talked about placing more value on the bigger projects than the smaller ones. Tilting the cost benefit analysis in favor of the larger assignments. That way you don't dread doing those assignments as much as before. 

The other article I read discussed how to beat procrastination. The title spoke to my soul, so I had to read it. This article made a list of steps to take on how to beat procrastination. Some of the things the author wrote were making a list of small steps rather than large daunting ones, tie those to a treat to make doing the task more appealing, and the last was to remove the blockage that is keeping you from performing those tasks. 

Hopefully, I can go through and read some of the other articles and steal some of those tips, so I can help curb some of my procrastination this semester. Since it is my last semester, I have a feeling my procrastination is going to be at an all time high. Normally, I make checklists and mark them out as I complete them. Most of the time, I feel like I am forgetting something. Deadlines always give me anxiety. Between work and all my classes, it doesn't take much to get overwhelmed. For some reason, my response to stress is just ignore it all and hope it goes away. Maybe I can incorporate some of the articles into my time strategies, and have better time management over this next semester.  

1 comment:

  1. I totally get shutting down due to stress. It can be incredibly overwhelming at times. I try to stay on top of assignments and deadlines by using a dry-erase calendar. It works for the most part, as long as I know can plan things weeks in advance. However, this semester I have a couple of classes that are mostly "you'll find out when we get there." And it makes me SO stressed.

    I have several friends who are in their last semester as well. They are definitely procrastinating on everything. But I think that's okay. Enjoy college while you're still here is my view. I just hope I don't hit the "sophomore slump."

    ReplyDelete