Friday, January 20, 2017

Storybook Favorites

Three Labors of Hercules

This storybook is interesting because it mixes in Harry Potter along with Hercules. It was different to read it as one dimension teaching it to a class in another dimension. It's not something that would ever cross paths, but it's cool to see how the author mixes them together. The intro to this story was similar to syllabus day at OU. Hagrid was going over what the students would be learning over the course of the class, and what rules he had. That drew me in because it was relatable to my life. The layout of the pages was in the form of a script, as if you were reading a play or something. I liked that design because then you knew exactly who was talking and it made the story easier to follow along.

Fairytale Case Files

One of the cases that was worked on in this story was that of Rumpelstiltskin. This is a story I have heard a time or two once before. So, I was familiar with the story. The other was based off a Grimm Brother's story called Elves and I was not familiar with that one. The introduction does a good job at drawing in the reader, because it gives a crime show kind of intro. I liked how the author laid out the stories as a recall to meeting with the clients and his process of solving the cases. I enjoyed reading these stories as they are retold, and how the are separate pages to navigate through.


I really enjoyed reading this story. I was very similar to the Disney version, but it was different at the same time. I enjoyed how the narrator was an old book that was cursed by a sorceress. The lay out was easy to follow as it progressed through the different parts of the story.  The pictures that the author chose, I thought captured the story. Being told from an old book, I felt was a nice touch since Beauty is known for being a bookworm. Overall, I feel the story was easy to follow along with, and I enjoy how the author broke the story up through the book feeling the curse "acting up" as he was telling the story. 

Storybook
Source: Flickr



No comments:

Post a Comment