Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Growth Mindset


I have never heard of Carol Dweck or Growth Mindset before learning about it in this class. I definitely see myself looking at class/class work as getting a passing grade. I let life get in my way all the time, so I tend to focus more on what I need to learn to do good enough on the assignments. I like the way of the not yet, that Professor Dweck mentions in the first video. My brother was one of the many kids that had ADHD when he was younger. He hated school, and learning and struggled with it until he was in middle/high school. Luckily for him, as he got older, he was able to overcome his challenges and focus better and is now finishing his junior year as a Mechanical Engineer major with a relatively high GPA. If he had the not yet option when he was younger, I feel like he wouldn't have been so hard on himself. I remember him being upset all the time as a kid, because he just couldn't grasp what was going on in school.

Being at OU, you have a large variety of teachers and teaching assistance/grad students that help professors. All of them have their own teaching styles. Some that are completely different from mine. I've definitely had to put more time and effort into some classes than I have with others. I have had to change my learning styles to adapt to the teacher rather than what is best for me. My freshman year was a shock. In college, professors, especially in larger lecture classes, only focus on teaching the information required for the class. It doesn't matter whether or not you understand it. I definitely went into college as a fixed-mindset student, but over the years, that has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment