Saturday, February 18, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

Growth Mindset
Source: Laura Gibbs

-- I enjoyed reading this article because it made me realize that feedback is helpful and not meant to be hurtful. Even though I have always tried to take feedback "like a champ", sometimes it does get me discouraged, and I just want to give up. I received the most feedback when I was in sports, and I always felt like a terrible player, but when I felt discouraged it made me want to be a better player in order to prove them wrong. I knew I had the potential, I just needed to find it. 

--This article really hit home for me. I take rejections way to personal, and have always been really hard on myself after being rejected. Friends and family constantly tell me that it's not me, I should've be so hard on myself, blah blah blah, and yet I still am. Reading about reviving your self worth is something that I really want to try. I know I am a good person and I have a lot to offer to friends, family, significant others, work, etc. I think writing it out as they mentioned and physically seeing it in front of me, is something that might help me realize that I don't need to be so hard on myself. I just need to realize that I do have a lot to offer, and move on to something bigger and better for me. 

--Being a trainer at work, I have to give lots of feedback to everyone that is lucky enough to train with me. Sometimes it is hard telling people what they are doing wrong, what they are doing right, and what they can do to make things better. At work, training is pretty difficult and thorough, it always amazes my trainees how much they are going to have to know and do when they are going through training and once they get out of training. So, feedback from my fellow trainers and myself are pretty important in their success. I've never liked giving feedback to others, just because I don't want to hurt their feelings, or discourage them, but being a trainer has made that easier for me. I definitely want to incorporate the feedforward into my training and see if that gets a better response from my trainees.

4. The Difference Between Praise That Promotes Narcissism vs. Healthy Self Esteem
--This was a very interesting read in that most people don't realize the importance of wording is with younger children. I remember times that I have said certain phrases mentioned in the article to my younger cousins, and my friend's children. It's just something most parents do to make their child happy and feel important, but instead it might be hurting them in the long run. Once I have children of my own, I definitely need to watch what I say, and try not to word it in a way to promote narcissism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment