Sunday, February 19, 2017

Feedback Focus


Of the three different techniques, I think it's a tie between reading aloud, and setting a timer. While I always feel awkward reading out loud, it seemed to help me stay focused a little better than just reading to myself. I had to actually read the story and pay attention to it instead of letting myself get distracted by my thoughts, which tends to happy very frequently. Setting a timer, also helped me stay more focused, but not as focused as reading out loud. I am a very slow reader, so trying to set a time to allow myself to read and only focus of the story is hard. It's also hard for me to stay focused for that long. I get distracted way to easily to rely on timing myself. I did not care for the copy and delete technique. I felt it was way too much work when I was reading the story. It might be a good technique to write notes after reading a paragraph in a textbook, but using it for a class such as this, I didn't feel like it would be a very useful technique to me.

I have always had a difficult time reading. Unless it was a story that really captured my attention, I could not stay focused on it to save my life. I always hated reading out loud in class, and I hated timed reading sessions we had back in elementary school. I think now that I am older, reading out loud to my dog, might be something I'm going to try. Occasionally, when I'm studying with my friends, I will read my study materials to them, but of course they get annoyed with me cause I'm usually a distraction to them. Usually I only do that for fun. Reading to my dog might not feel as weird as reading to an empty room.

I really enjoyed reading the story about why dogs and cats are enemies. I've always enjoyed reading stories about why things are the way they are, so reading this was fun. It was a cute story, and it makes sense that the cat would run home to show the dog up. Cats are very sly, and at times selfish animals. 

1 comment:

  1. I definitely wanted to check out your post about the different reading techniques to see how other compared to my reactions. You're totally right about the out-loud method; it does feel awkward! I feel like I'm reading to a kindergarten class, but hey, it works! I'm actually surprised how well you responded to the timer. I can't focus at all when setting a timer because then all of my attention is on how much time I've used and how much time is left! And if I had a dog, I'd totally read to it. When I lived at home, I would narrate everything - like making a meal - to my dog when alone.

    ReplyDelete